Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Rooster can't walk right leg foot is curled under feels

Rooster can't walk right...

Rooster can't walk right leg foot is curled under feels arm.thought injured today left foot seems affected have isolated him to care for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes no wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

Handsome about 3 yrs don't know exactly

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

He has Orpington lineage

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Not that i know of

3/10/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Handsome. Unless there's a history of significant trauma to his spinal cord, bilateral leg paresis (weakness)/paralysis should be considered to be due to Marek's disease (herpesvirus) by the principle of Occam's Razor. Please review this synopsis of Marek's disease and let me know if you're seeing other signs of it: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't believe that is what it is as we have seen Marek's before and he is four years old now. This happened right after below freezing temperatures in my area for an entire week so I thought maybe it was a frozen foot however, now it seems to be affecting his other foot. The foot that has been affected the longest also seems to be fevered.

Thank you for the additional information. Frost bite is a consideration when the onset of cold weather is unexpected, when birds are on metal surfaces (e.g., wire), or when there is pre-existing circulatory compromise to the toes and feet. A history of exposure to cold, combined with evidence of pain (lameness, self-mutilation) can lead to a presumptive diagnosis before physical changes become obvious. After 24 hours, edema and swelling of the toes may become obvious but the line of demarcation of necrosis (tissue death) may take several weeks to become evident.

There are three goals in treatment: maintaining optimal blood supply to affected tissue; avoiding secondary infections; and providing analgesia. If the tissue is still frozen, rapid re-warming in a warm water bath is recommended over gradual re-warming. Avoid massaging the affected area, as this is likely to cause further tissue damage. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) prescribed by a vet may reduce inflammation. Pentoxifylline and isoxsuprine can increase blood flow to the affected tissues. The use of antibiotics for several weeks is recommended. Because this can be an extremely painful condtion analgesia through the use of opioids should be considered. Surgical debridement or amputation should be delayed until the line of demarcation becomes obvious.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian