Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

A small grey bird is sitting on the edge of my bird bath. It…

A small grey bird...

A small grey bird is sitting on the edge of my bird bath. It may be a titmouse. It has its head tucked under its wing and is just sitting there. It was not frightened away when I stood near it. What is wrong and what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your bird?

I don't know. It just sits there with its head tucked.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

I cannot tell.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

I did not see anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your bird eating normally?

I don't know. It is a wild bird.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

I don't know. I saw it maybe 30 minutes ago. It just sits there and does not move from there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?

It is a wild bird on my bird bath outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?

It just moved it's head and looked around quickly. now it has its head out and is moving a little on the edge of the bath. I think it is a baby titmouse.

3/3/2018
Rebecca, Bird Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about this bird. The only people legally allowed to treat wild birds are licensed rehabilators. There are such people in all areas; where do you live?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
77385 10512 Sky Ridge Drive, Conroe, TX 77385

Bird rehab people know how to treat wild birds, which are very fragile, and how to treat them so they can best be returned to the wild. Until I can find out who to call in your area, try to keep this bird safe from predators.

Give me a moment to research.

https://www.twrcwildlifecenter.org

https://houstonaudubon.org/about/need-help/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/

One of these places should be able to come for the bird and help it. Can you post a picture of the bird?

Please let me know if you are seeing what I sent, and if I can answer any other questions.

Was this helpful? How is the bird doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Bird Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bird was dead the next morning. He must have been ill or injured though I could see no sign of injury. Thank you for your suggestions.
Rebecca, Bird Veterinarian