Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My female parakeet about 2 - 3 years old got in a fight with…

My female parakeet about...

My female parakeet about 2 - 3 years old got in a fight with another parakeet and has a bite on her cere. The center has a little piece missing between the holes in her cere.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name?

Blue sunshine. She is blue with a bright yellow forhead and white on the back of the head. Very pretty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

She is an extra female in a cage of 5 parakeets. 3 females and 2 males. She is out of the cage now. In a small cage of her own. I just took her out late today. The injury has been there for about a week and does not look infected but is still pink skin there. But she is underweight. I can feel her breastbone. It is sharp like she is not eating well. Can this injury be the cause or does she just need plenty of food that she does not have to fight for? I plan to worm her as soon as I get some worm medicine. But just want to know if I need to do anything about her cere.

2/26/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of her face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it. Unless the wound were deeply penetrating, it shouldn't cause anorexia. What has her diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I understand the importance of a proper diet for caged birds. My bird is eating well and does have a large variety of foods already. But l never tried to feed her meat. She is given a vitamin mineral drops in her water weekly. Or in her birdie bread.
There is no infection visible at the injury sight. I think her were is healing ok now.
She is separated from the parakeet flight. She now has Her own flight.
Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that she's doing so nicely. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian