Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Miers parrot, red stool sample. Princess, 1-2 years old

Miers parrot, red...

Miers parrot, red stool sample

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Princess, 1-2 years old

2/18/2018
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your parrot. I shall do my best to help you.Red feces or stools is not necessarily a sign of illness or injury in birds but it can be. So, to try and differentiate between the various causes of this issue allow me to ask questions so we can narrow down the potential causes. My goal would be to let you know what you’re potentially dealing with and whether you should follow up with your local avian veterinarian to confirm the diagnosis.1. What do you feed your bird? Please list any and all pellets, vegetables, greens, human food and treats you offer.2. If your bird showing any other signs of illness such as lethargy, poor appetite, vomiting, etc?3. Are the feces well formed or is it diarrhea?4. How long has this issue been occurring? Has anything changed in your bird’s diet or environment around the time it started?Any information you could provide would be appreciated and helpful for me to determine what is actually going on with your bird. Answering these questions will help me figure out whether it is just a consequence of what you feed to your parrot and is normal or whether it is something we need to be concerned about. Please respond when you get a chance. I shall do everything I can to help you and your pet bird.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Basic nutri parrot food from pet store. She has been eating this from the Things such as sunflower seeds dried corn kernels, peanuts and variable different seeds and compressed pellets. The odd fresh banana (mush up)
#2 none of the signs.
#3 first in the morning in normally more liquid combined and usually white & green or brown in color.
Recently (about) 1 week the red started. This morning reddish and more firm.
#4 about a week, and nothing changed in diet or environment.
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
You never return my call.
Thank you for the information you provided. It is very helpful. I apologize but I do not normally use phone calls on my consultations. I utilize email instead.It is a good sign that your bird otherwise appears healthy with no vomiting or other signs of illness. If the red color was combined with other signs of illness such as vomiting or diarrhea I would definitively recommend you visit a local veterinarian experienced working with birds as the red colored feces might indicate blood was present which can indicate bleeding and/or inflammation in the intestines. Potential causes of such problems can include bacterial or viral infections, parasites, cancer, trauma, etc.You stated the red color to the feces started one week ago. Did anything in your bird’s diet change over the last month? Does the pellet mix you feed include any pellets or other food items with red coloring to them? We often we birds feces change color based on what they consume. If the feces are otherwise normal and well formed in appearance and your bird otherwise appears healthy most likely the red color is coming from dyes and other food coloring in your pet bird’s diet.Therefore, please answer those questions I posed and we should be able to make a determination whether your bird should be evaluated by a local veterinarian or not.Dr. Adamski
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
If you require any further assistance or have any questions I left unanswered please let me know and I shall do my best to help.Dr. Adamski