Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I was just reading the information relating to the bloated…

Customer Question
HI Pearl, I was...

HI Pearl, I was just reading the information relating to the bloated belly of this person's budgie. My budgie has the same condition but does not have diarrhea and seems very happy and playful as usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

FINN is his name and he is about 2 years old.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
2/15/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Finn has a bloated abdomen, but otherwise, he is acting normal, eating and drinking well, and no signs of illness. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Thank you. Can you please tell me what does Finn's regular diet consist of daily?

He has bird seed and I give him apple and broccoli and he likes snow peas also.

Most of the time when there is a distended abdomen and no other signs of illness, then the reason is associated with fatty tissue accumulation. This is especially common with birds that eat a predominately seed diet, which is very high in fat. It is also more deficient in essential minerals and nutrients, but it is the fat content that creates these situations. The liver could also be distended caused by excessive fat accumulation. The only other likely differentials is with severe inflammation of the intestines, but one would expect to see other signs such as vomiting or diarrhea. Since he is otherwise happy, fatty tissue accumulation is the top differential.

Without him showing actual signs of sickness then the next step is to try and transition him from a seed based diet to a pellet one instead. Harrison's, LaFeber's, Roudybush are all higher quality foods you may want to consider. Any transition of food needs to be gradual and done over weeks to months, but if done correctly and with patience, then the pay off nutritionally is profound.

Does that help to answer your question?

Are these products available at a pet store? I live in Sydney.
Are you still there - I was just wondering where I can purchase these pellets?
Hello.