Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My parrot is infected with fecal parasites. Alexandrine

My parrot is infected...

My parrot is infected with fecal parasites

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?

Alexandrine parrot. Age: 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alexandrine?

He is just having these fecal parasites, eating less food. and doing tiny poops

2/10/2018
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your parrot. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
Greetings. I can definitely provide some useful information for you on how to successfully deal with parasites in your pet bird. Parasites can be ugly and potentially hazardous to your bird’s health but it is a problem that can in most circumstances be treated successfully and resolved so your bird can continue to lead a happy and healthy life. Can you please verify how you came to discover your bird has parasites? Did you see worms in the feces or did your local veterinarian test your bird’s feces? The reason I ask is that it is important to know what type of parasite we are dealing with. There are many different types of parasites to include tapeworms, roundworms, Protozoa, etc. Each type of parasite will require a different treatment as there is no one medication that will kill all the different categories of parasites.
Please get back to me when you can and I shall do whatever is necessary to help you and your parrot. I look forward to hearing back from you.Dr. Adamski
i taken him to vet and they tested his poop in lab..
they gave different medicines everytime i go there and it is not too much effective
They call it Fecal parasites.
3 days ago, his health got better. But now, he is started having problems again.
I am very worried.. Please get back to me ASAP.
Ok. No problem. If the local veterinarian tested the feces there should be lab results which specify what type of parasite they found. Please call or email your veterinarian and request a copy of the test results. You can then scan the paperwork or take a digital picture of it and send it to me. Once I know what type of parasite we are dealing with I can provide you advice and recommendations on how to proceed to get rid of the parasites and get your parrot healthy again. I look forward to hearing back from you.Dr. Adamski
Thank you very much for that information. Your bird unfortunately has eimeria or a protozoan infection. These are very small single cell parasites that live in and damage the intestines of birds. They can cause inflammation of the intestines, bloody diarrhea and make your bird not want to eat.It is really important that we treat your parrot AND the environment/enclosure where your bird lives otherwise the problem will likely keep happening again as the parasites’ “eggs” contaminate the cage and keep reinfectibg your pet bird.Can you please tell me what medications your local veterinarian has already prescribed so I don’t duplicate his/her efforts? Any information such as the names of the medications or pictures of the prescription labels would be helpful.Dr. Adamski
Reinfecting
The last one was: http://myshopp.com.pk/product/tribrissen/
Tribrissen syrup
You there?
Ok. Here are my recommendations for a new treatment option. Medications like tribrissen will treat coccidia like eimeria but there are more effective options. Tribrissen only inhibits the growth and reproduction of the parasites and then relies on the patient’s own immune system to kill the parasites. Whereas the two medications I recommend, Toltrazuril and Ponazuril actually kill the parasites outright. Toltrazuril is used to treat eimeria infections that don’t respond well to other medications. You will need a prescription from your veterinarian to gain access to these medications. Here are the treatment protocols I recommend.1. Toltrazuril 7mg/kg by mouth once per day x 3 days.2. Ponazuril 20mg/kg by mouth once per day x 7 days.Please note you may need to administer a second dose if the infection is really bad.I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to clean the cage/enclosure your bird lives in in order to successfully get rid of these parasites permanently. If you only treat your bird but don’t clean the cage the problem will likely reoccur. Please use hot soapy water to scrub the cage and then disinfect the cage with a dilute bleach solution (1/10 dilution) and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water between scrubbing and disinfecting as well as at the end to remove the bleach.This combined treatment and cleaning regimen should successfully deal with your problem. Please let me know how you make out and if you have any questions or concerns. I wish you and your parrot all the best. SEEYA!Dr. Adamski
i have to clean the cage daily or just a week?
Sorry if my instructions were not clear. Cleaning the cage thoroughly at the start and end of the treatment period (first and last day) should prove sufficient. If you wish to be extra cautious then clean it every day.I hope that clears things up for you. Please let me know what plan you and your local veterinarian work out and how you make out. All the best. SEEYA!Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
will this work? http://www.intervacpvtltd.com/product/toltracox-5-solution/
if yes, then tell me how much Toltrazuril and water do i have to mix up together. And then how much mixture in dropper?
That should work as long as you dose it as I recommended AND clean the enclosure for your bird.To calculate the amount of medicine you need to administer I need to know the weight of your pet bird. 😊Dr. Adamski
250 grams.
1. Roger that. Based on the information you provided about your bird and the medication you have the dose you want to administer is 0.04ml by mouth once per day x 3 days.2. Please make sure you clean your bird’s cage at the start of the treatment and at the end of the treatment. Use hot soapy water first and then the dilute bleach solution we talked about previously.3. I would have your bird’s droppings retested at your local veterinarian for parasites after the end of the treatment. You may need to repeat this treatment once or twice depending on the severity of the problem.Please let me know if you have any further concerns or questions.Dr. Adamski
first i have to dissolve 1ml in 1 litre of water? and then give him 0.04ml using dropper?
hey thanks, ***** ***** very effective. Now he is feeling better and started to dance.
That is marvelous news. I’m pleased to hear things are working out and your parrot is recovering.Please do not forget to finish the full dosing regimen. Retest the feces to make sure you totally got rid of the parasites. And please be sure to clean the cage! Good luck. 🍀Dr. Adamski