Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Oh I was just googling seizures in birds and saw this. My…

Oh Hi! I was...

Oh Hi! I was just googling seizures in birds and saw this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?

My African Grey has been having ocassional seizures

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Not really he is otherwise healthy. He had a head injury about 5 years ago when he fell but recovered ok Ok is the vet familiar with Exotics?

1/22/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about seizures in African Greys. I'm sorry your Grey is having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You can rest assured I have more than 20 years of experience working with avian patients; Greys are among my favorites.

(typing more)

Seizures are actually a somewhat common presentation for African Greys, with the most common reason being hypocalcemia. This is especially true for birds maintained on an all-seed diet.

They get chicken bones 2-3 times a week. He is on a Zupreem pelleted diet with fresh veggies also.

A prior head injury can also contribute to seizures, but it's pretty difficult to narrow something like down as the cause for certain. It's usually a case where you do the diagnostic tests to look for other causes of seizures, and - if they're all normal - it could be fair to assume that's why your bird is having seizures.

It sounds like he's on a great diet. How long has he been on this diet, please?

How long have you had him?

How long ago did he start having seizures?

How frequently does he have seizures?

I think I will just have the vet do a blood test on him to see his calcium levels and check for heavy metals
I have had him 16 years. He is 24. Only started siezing the last few years. He has them maybe 2X a month.

X-rays can be helpful too.

I though of that.
I have another grey she is 9 and she is fine.

This sounds like a good plan.

A couple of thoughts:

Firstly, hypocalemia caused seizures can still happen, even when the bird is on a good diet. That's the first thing to look for.

There are many other things that can cause seizures as well, they're just less common.

I know it can be difficult to find trustworthy information on the internet, but please have a look at this page.

https://lafeber.com/vet/neurologic-disease/

Scroll down to the section on seizures. This is written for veterinarians, not bird owners, but I'm betting you can still glean some useful information from it.

I'm glad your other grey is fine.

Unfortunately, the fact that she is fine doesn't really help narrow down the list of potential causes at all.

Ok thanks!!!! Just to be safe I'll take him in. Its so sad when he is seizing all I can do is hold him till its over.

Yes, it's heartbreaking to observe.

Typing more...

And I'm really glad you're taking him in. As you can see on the page I linked to, there are a lot of potential treatments to try. That means you have reasons to hope he'll be able to get some relief.

He has been on that diet the whole time I have owned him. I have a 27 year old Amazon been on ZUpreem her whole life with no problems.

I hope this information helps.

Is there anything else I can do for you for now? I want to be as helpful as possible.

Excellent. I'm so glad you're keeping your birds on a healthy diet.

Please understand, however, that none of this means your Grey's seizures CANNOT be due to hypocalcemia. It's still possible. Each bird is different.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
I understand that. Ok thank you so much. No, i appreciate your input. Just wanted confirmation from a vet.

You bet. It sounds like you have all the information you need and an excellent plan. Keep up the good work. Your birds are lucky to have you.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo