Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My chickens just started laying eggs. One of them who

Customer Question
My chickens just started...

My chickens just started laying eggs. One of them who usually eats treats ( grain, dried meal worms, peanuts, bird seed) out of my hand is not eating it. She also has a little bit of dried poop on her bottom that I cleaned up. When I looked at her vent, it was pulsating slightly. I don't know if that is normal. I am new to chicken keeping. She also looked a little lethargic and fluffed her feathers and acted sleepy when she is usually peppy. She followed me around the yard chirping slightly, as if to say something is wrong. Of course they eat regular commercial feed not just treats. She has refused treats for two days. She is drinking lots of water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name?

Frida

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frida?

She is my most friendliest chicken and is usually very energetic.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/19/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Welcome to the fun and frustration of being a flock caretaker. Regretfully, her symptoms can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. Thus, in avian medicine we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an important diagnostic particularly in large flocks.

Her vent motion isn't clear to me but does bring up the possibility of egg binding which is more of a consideration when eggs are first layed by young hens. Are you seeing other signs of binding such as walking like a penguin, squatting as if to lay frequently, distention of the vent/cloaca area? Here's a more complete synopsis for you: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html