Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

In the past 3 months I have had 4 chickens die suddenly and…

In the past 3...

In the past 3 months I have had 4 chickens die suddenly and now I have 4 chickens that are lethargic and not wanting to get up they are going through molting and I increased their protein from 16 percent to 18 percent and added a chicken booster to their food, vitamins and minerals. I have 2 flocks in different areas and the other flock which is older seems to be OK

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?

They don't have names it is a flock of 30 birds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

They are shot short of a year old I have white leghorns and rhode island reds the leghorns are the ones that are sick

1/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, these sudden deaths and now your lethargic ones can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. Thus, in avian medicine we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an essential diagnostic particularly in large flocks such as yours. With this in mind, your best course of action might be to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel, county animal disease diagnostic laboratory (if you're fortunate to have such a lab in your county), or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in that regard. Any vet can send in a bird for necropsy; you needn't find an avian vet for that purpose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
My birds seem to be doing better. One that could not walk 4 days ago escaped from me and was running around the pen. I changed there diet by going from 16% to 18% layer added black sunflower seeds and now have a winter scratch. They seem to have more energy. Also I was able to get Terra Vet 200 and added 3cc to their 2 gallon water container will do it for 3 days. Unfortunately Calif changed the laws and can not get any antibiotics or other meds without script and we have no bird vets within 100 miles of here. Have not found phone number for county extension will keep trying. Thanks for your followup if you have any other suggestions please advise. Steve Clayaugh

I never argue with success, Steve. I understand your logistical constraints. I live in California. It's the FDA, however, that has removed all antibiotics save tylosin in the form of injectable Tylan 50 from over the counter shelves. It's unlikely that your county has an animal county disease diagnostic laboratory. Financial constraints have all but made these labs nonexistent. Perhaps this site will be helpful: http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/

Please continue our conversation if you wish. I'll be offline between tonight and 01/30.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian