Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My bird lost his heel and I️ can see his tongue he dosent…

Customer Question
My bird lost his...

My bird lost his heel and I️ can see his tongue he dosent seem in pain but he can’t eat nothing and I️m worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?

I️ think that’s it But he lost his beek 2 days a go

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/18/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Perla, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of Purple to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Avulsion (loss) of all or part of the mandible (lower beak) or maxilla (upper beak) is a common injury. Surprisingly, many birds will adapt to the deformity and do well so long as infection and pain are controlled and the bird is nutritionally supported until the wounds have healed.

My condolences for your loss of Purple. Thank you for the photo. I can see his maxilla but can't tell if the mandible is present or not. His cere appears to have been badly affected by the scaly leg and face mite (Cnemidocoptes) which can weaken the beak to the point at which it crumbles away. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian