Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He is about 7 years old. Seemed healthy until yesterday but…

He is about 7...

He is about 7 years old. Seemed healthy until yesterday but had seemed less enthusiastic about his bath and playing in the past 2 weeks. Still eating treats but not too interested in pellets. sitting on the bottom of the cage, feathers puffed, head under wing. Eyes clear, nostrils clear, no diarrhea but some labored breathing. Any hope? There is no Vet available.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name?

"Bird"

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Nothing has changed in his surroundings, feed or care.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2018
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I will do my best to answer your questions and help Bird. Can you give me a bit more information first? What kind of bird is this? Any previous health concerns? Any other birds in the house?

Sorry, this is a parakeet and has been completely healthy his entire life. I got him when he was only a couple of months old. He lives in the sunroom with my plants and two canaries who are healthy and singing.
FYI: I've added some heat in one part of the cage via light bulb. He is sitting and regurgitating to his mirror more than usual--still eating this AM seed treats and millet spray and is on a perch.

Great, thank you for the information - it helps me try to sort out what could be going on. At age 7 you have a parakeet that is in the middle to old age range. Even when cared for properly and otherwise healthy, some of these birds only live 7-8 years, while others can live to the mid-teens. It has a bit to do with lifestyle and genetics, just like in people (healthy people can have a lifespan of only 60 yrs while others live to 100), for example.
The symptoms you describe - sitting on the bottom of the cage, fluffed feathers, tucking his head - are all reasons to be quite concerned. Birds will generally hide their symptoms when they are ill, so we usually do not see these things until they are fairly sick. Is the room warm enough? Adding some extra heat to one side of the cage might help, and making the room a little darker to decrease his stress level. Are you certain this is a male?

I see you posted a bit more while I was responding. That is great that you added some extra heat already. Since he really isn't giving us much more evidence of what is going on, I think it might be best to have your veterinarian do an exam on him. They can listen to his lungs and airsacs to see if there is an infection developing, and palpate his abdomen to see if they feel any organ enlargement or tumor. At the minimum they will be able to help figure out if a round of antibiotics is needed, or if he is experiencing an pain that needs medication. Unfortunately these are things I can not do through the internet, which is why it is important to have a vet see him. Hopefully it is nothing serious but I am certain a quick exam by your vet can determine the best course of action. Good luck and I hope Bird is feeling better soon.

Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian