Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He has a cancerous cyst under his wing. It's terminal and I…

Customer Question
He has a cancerous...

He has a cancerous cyst under his wing. It's terminal and I know that he's in pain. He's 24 years old. I just want to help him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Baby Bird

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

He has been eating a lot lately. He also drinks a lot. The cyst is growing larger each day. He was taken t a vet who gave him some pain medication but he refuses to take it. He fights me and bites. Of course, he always bites me so that nothing new. I know he will not be with me much longer. I just want to keep him comfortable.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your pet bird. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
I am terribly sorry to hear about your pet bird. I shall do my best to provide you with some useful and practical advice for you and your pet bird. The most important thing to remember is that you may need to combine multiple different pain control techniques to provide the best results for your pet. This is because there are multiple pain pathways in animals such as your pet bird. Each type of medicine or pain control technique only works on certain pain pathways in the nervous system. Therefore, when you combine multiple techniques you block as many pathways as possible which gives you the best results.So, here are my recommendations:1. Unfortunately, cancer can often be a painful condition. The pain medications prescribed by your veterinarian should form the base of your pain control plan to give your pet bird as good a quality of life for as long as possible. The additional techniques I will describe are good but will work much better if your bird is able to take analgesics or the pain control medicines. I fully realize you were having trouble getting your bird to accept taking the medicines. Therefore, here are my two recommendations to successfully address this problem. First, you can hide the nasty taste of the medicine in a sweet or good tasting treat your bird likes such as a piece of fruit or even a small amount of yoghurt or syrup. Second, you can have the medicines specially made with delicious flavorings such as marshmallow or strawberry flavor for example. Compounding pharmacies can often make even a rather unpleasant tasting medicine decent tasting enough so that a pet will accept it. If you explain your problem your local veterinarian should be able to help you with both of these options.There are also several complementary therapies that could potentially help as well. These therapies are best used in conjunction with the pain medicines your veterinarian prescribed. They will help reduce the pain experienced by your bird but won’t block it completely.2. Acupuncture is a traditional medical technique that utilizes very tiny needles at certain points in the body to activate pain control neurons to help minimize pain levels. The link listed below can be used to search for a veterinary acupuncturist familiar working with animals located near you.http://www.aava.org/search/custom.asp?id=15303. Laser therapy can also help wounds heal and minimize pain levels. This laser therapy technique does not require any physical contact with the patient and usually takes five minutes or less to complete an individual session. A series of treatments are usually found to be most effective.4. Certain medicinal herbs can help reduce stress, anxiety and some of the side effects of the cancer that make your bird feel miserable. The link below can help you find a Veterinary herbal medicine practitioner located in your area.http://www.vbma.org/us-members.htmlI hope you find this information both practical and useful. Please remember that any one technique will most likely not prove sufficient to control your birds pain but if you’re able to combine the different techniques and medications that will probably work best. Please make sure you notify the different veterinarians you work with all of the treatments you’re providing your bird since herbs and medicines can have side effects and affect other treatments. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
I am writing to check in to see whether I can be of any further assistance. Should you have any e any further questions or concerns please let me know and I’ll do my best to assist you.Dr. Adamski