Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a leghorn rooster (cockerel) that has frostbite on…

Customer Question
I have a leghorn...

I have a leghorn rooster (cockerel) that has frostbite on tips of comb and wattles. We are in PA (it was a low of -2 and high of about 15 all week). There are 7 hens and 1 cockerel in the unheated coop. The water is in the chicken run (outside the coop) that they have access to during the day. It is supposed to warm up this week but is currently 12 degrees going up to 29 today. The comb has blanched looking spots with the very tips of 1-2 points black. The wattles look blistered. My questions are 1) What can I do to help this cockerel now? 2) how can I prevent this again? I do not have a barn or any other area that I can put these birds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Foghorn

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/8/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your chicken. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian