Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My old Roo has Favus, and I heard that I could use Monistat…

My old Roo has...

My old Roo has Favus, and I heard that I could use Monistat to treat it, but I am not sure how to use it ( how much, how often, for how long? I rubbed Vaseline on him before knowing it was Favus and hope I don,t get it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

He has favus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

It is a fungus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

White on comb and wattles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Yes, he has a fungus

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

No, it is on his comb

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the bird behaving differently?

I need to apply something topically

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Aticus 10yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Aticus?

I just said 10

1/8/2018
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Greetings. I am terribly sorry to hear about your chicken. Fortunately, favus, ringworm or the skin fungal infection you’re talking about is treatable and can be cured.Fungal skin infections such as ringworm are caused by a fungus that invades and damages the skin. It can cause skin damage and open the animal Up to secondary bacterial infections and other problems.Here are my recommendations:1. You will need to use a topical antifungal medication such as Clotrimazole. You will need to apply this to any affected skin twice per day for a month.2. Ringworm can spread to other animals such as other chickens, any other pets you have including dogs and cats as well as people. Therefore, I recommend you wear gloves and wash your hands while applying the medicine.3. The fungus is often sensitive to sunlight so anytime you can provide outside in direct sunlight will help treat the infection along with the medication.4. The fungus can also live for a time on surfaces so I recommend you clean the chicken coop or enclosure with hot soapy water and then disinfect it with a dilute bleach solution (1 part household bleach and 9 parts warm water).I hope this answers your question. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your chicken all the best.Dr. Adamski
FYI, two common antifungal medications used to treat ringworm or skin fungal diseases (dermatophytosis) include ketoconazole, miconazole and Clotrimazole. Any of the over the counter medications designed for athlete’s foot or jock itch in humans should work.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with avian species or birds. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian