Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Puffing feathers. Couple hours ago but eating and jumping…

Puffing feathers. Couple hours...

Puffing feathers. Couple hours ago but eating and jumping around

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?

Feathers puffing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

No where

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Not whistling as much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Much quiet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the bird behaving differently?

Not very active nor playful

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Reds

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Reds?

1year

Just changed his feed couple days ago
1/7/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Reds is appearing puffed up, but he is otherwise eating and drinking normally and behaving normally. Is that correct? Any changes to the feces or urine?

No. Moving around a little better. I covered his cage to maintain a warmer environment

That is the right thing to do initially. You will want to get the temperature up to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit ideally, which is not likely to do just by covering it. It will help you more to get a heat bulb and place it over the cage. Can you please tell me the name of the food you are feeding now? How long ago was the switch?

Canary seed. Melange De graines Sering. 1 week ago

Thank you. This is a commercial canary seed and, like most other canary foods, are predominately seed based. These are higher in fat and generally lower in essential nutrients and minerals. This may not be the primary issue, but it does not do favors. A puffed up appearance can mean many things, but it is never normal. It means there is a problem somewhere. I would recommend to have a blood panel drawn to evaluate liver function, and a fecal exam +/- crop content exam to evaluate for parasites.

Zupreem's Canary Smart Selects is a good food choice to consider. It is a little more balanced and contains less seed (i.e. less fat).

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Reds doing?

Reds is doing so much better. Kept him warm I give him a piece of aspirin. Assuming if he a fever it should help him but I only took that chance because I am a registered nursing, won't recommend others to do so. I monitored him all night. After a couple drink if that water he was up and about. Thank you for your support.

You are very welcome! I am happy he is doing better.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian