Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I woke up this morning and found that my blue and gold

macaw, about 10 yrs old...
I woke up this morning and found that my blue and gold macaw, about 10 yrs old, had passed substantial blood overnight. I rushed her into my vet and she said she didnt feel an egg inside, wasnt sure what was going on, but because of how she wasnt feeling well and the bleeding, prescribed her Flagyl 2 x a day. I got home, and she immediately passed watery yet thick liquid, some blood. An hour later, a semi intact egg was passed..obvious it had ruptured inside of her. Now, I am worried sick that she needs more attention and perhaps additional medications. Her vet is not available until monday. Am I concerned unduly, or should I pack my already exhausted bird up, in the cold,drive her an hour to a 24 hour bird vet? I will do this, if it seems necessary. Thank you.
1/6/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your macaw passed a ruptured egg that was previously bound. It does not sound like x-rays were taken by your veterinarian, and treatment was given with Flagyl twice daily. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is currently much more comfortable, btw, and has started eating again. My question is..does she need additional abx or treatment at this time ( which would be from an emergency vet, as its a weekend) No xrays were taken. She did insert a swab into her cloaca and said she did not feel an egg ( tho when she got home, she popped it out, after expelling what was yolk and albumin)

She should ideally have more treatment. Calcium supplementation, vitamin D, fluid therapy, pain management are recommended. She should be kept in a warmed environment (i.e. 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit) and the humidity increased to about 85%. Antibiotics are used as needed, but not always required.

You would want to see if an emergency veterinarian could give this treatment or if she would be better off in your care. You could likely increase the temperature and humidity, but the veterinarian may have access to calcium gluconate and can give pain medication and fluid therapy.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much!!!!
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian