Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I am not sure if my parakeet is egg bound or has a tumor…

Customer Question
Hi! I am not...

Hi! I am not sure if my parakeet is egg bound or has a tumor near her vent. She's still jumping around eating normally, etc. but has started to poke at and shake her bottom.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?

At first I thought she was egg bound but now I'm not sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?

Her name is***** about 8 years old now.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/7/2018
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Lefty, please? It's likely that I would need to examine Lefty hands-on to be able to clarify why she's "poking" and shaking her "bottom". I can tell you, however, that a bird in lay will often pass 2-4 eggs 1-2 days apart. Birds with egg binding may or may not have passed an egg more than 2 days ago, are usually depressed, fail to perch, often sit low on the perch or on the bottom of the cage, and may strain as if trying defecate or to lay an egg. Sometimes the egg will bulge in the area of the vent or may occasionally prolapse through the vent. If the egg is putting pressure on the nerves that control the legs, leg paralysis may result. I don't hear of these symptoms.

Are you seeing coelomic ("abdominal") distension?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it may be some sort of distension yes. She doesn't appear depressed. She's still eating and chirping like normal. She doesn't appear sick. She is on the older side for a parakeet. 8 or 9 years old. Could it be some sort of tumor or growth?

Certainly. Abdominal swelling can arise from tumor, a yolk peritonitis if she's been in lay, neoplasia (cancer), and both heart and liver failure. Her behavior is encouraging but to know her prognosis better an avian vet (www.aav.org) would need to examine Lefty hands-on. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian