Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

A little back story, we were asked to look after 4 m/f pairs…

A little back story...

A little back story, we were asked to look after 4 m/f pairs of lovebirds about 8 weeks ago, after a daughter died and the boyfriend was unable to look after them. they were all malnurished and dirty, their conditions are much better now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

What we have that i cant find much online about, is, we think the male, has a red swollen bottom

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name?

Sigh .. i feel emabrassed to say we havent been able to identify all the birds by name, since we didnt actually meet with the boyfriend ..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

So two birds in this cage, well behaved .. have produced 3 eggs over the last week .. I assume the female is the one sitting on them every day

The other we assume is the male .. has had this red swollen bottom probably since we got him .. it is not getting any better, but thankfully not getting any worse .. i will attach some pics we took of the pretty lil guy
here are pics
IMG_20171231_012437.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_012440.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_012449.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225850.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225856.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225904.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225910.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225917.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_225926.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171231_231408.jpgIMG_201...jpg
otherwise the bird looks great. he eats and drinks and is very gentle ..
this lil guy often perches / sits on one foot, just like the rest of them do often... after much reading, It seems its a sign of comfort, content, among other things like temp management .. i believe he is happy and content. I dont think this is any emergency
1/1/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the pics. It isn't clear to me where this bird's cloaca (vent) is in relation to the damaged tissue. Can you clarify this for me? This bird appears to have been cannabalized by others or has mutilated itself.

That makes sense,it probably happened when they were all very stressed out before we went and rescued them .. ill try to take more pics later

Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post.

We have learned its not the "vent" but just the tail area. I was able to see it poop and it wasnt the exact spot the damage is. The little guy seems ok.
Do you recommend any creams to help with healing or shud we just leave it be

Thank you for the update. Creams end up ingested to my patient's detriment. Chlorhexidine solution is a good antimicrobial and safe if ingested. You can find this solution in pet/feed stores or online; for example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CHLORHEXIDINE-2-SOLUTION/26961493

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian