Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

What cereals and cooked cereals are ok for cockatiels?

Customer Question
Hello, What cereals and cooked cereals...
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/31/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
Thank you for inquiring about a proper diet for your pet cockatiel. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was just wondering if Cherrios, Chex and Wheat Puffs are ok? And is instant plain cream of wheat and grits ok? Are they safe to feed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am just worried about the iron levels and sodium
Thank you for inquiring about this nutritional question regarding your bird’s diet. The short answer is that yes it is ok to feed most whole grain, unsweetened cereals to your pet bird in limited quantities several times per week. Examples of this type of cereal would be “Cheerios or grape nuts” Please try to avoid highly processed and sugary types of cereals. If you use the cereals I recommended in the small quantities that I suggested you will not have any problems with either sodium or iron.Here is some more information regarding safe rice and cereals that are safe to feed your bird from the Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB):Cooked rice, brown or white (without salt added) is beneficial and readily accepted by all species during severe winter weather. Uncooked rice may be eaten by birds such as pigeons, doves and pheasants but is less likely to attract other species.
Porridge oats must never be cooked, since this makes them glutinous and could harden around a bird's beak. Uncooked porridge oats are readily taken by a number of bird species.
Any breakfast cereal is acceptable birdfood, although you need to be careful only to put out small quantities at a time. It is best offered dry, with a supply of drinking water nearby, since it quickly turns into pulp once wetted.Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/safe-food-for-birds#0EUwHe71ffWfEf2z.99Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.Dr. Adamski
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how small of an amount? Also how about instant cream of wheat, grits and instant oatmeal? Are they safe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is for a pet bird? The link is about outdoor birds
The information on the website is equally applicable to psittacines (parrot and macaw family of birds) such as your cockatiel.The information I provided in my response was also applicable and appropriate for cockatiels.Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, how small of an amount?
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian