Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My parakeet is 5 years old and as of yesterday has been

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Pat, my...

Hi Dr. Pat, my parakeet is 5 years old and as of yesterday has been having seizures. Is there anything I can do to make him comfortable? I did lay a towel on the bottom of the cage to prevent him from getting hurt when he falls. I've been holding him and talking to him. That seems to help. Is there anything else I could be doing?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name?

Harpo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harpo?

Only that he's 5 years old.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/30/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Harpo has been having seizures. I am sorry to hear about that. This can often happen in parakeets that have liver disease or low calcium levels if they have chronically been fed an all seed diet. Treatment would be to give them a calcium supplement and correct the nutritional aspect. Having a UV bulb over the cage to make sure he is synthesizing calcium would also be recommended. There are also deficiencies in a seed diet that lead to decreased vitamin A and minerals. A supplement for these things would also be helpful including a general vitamin B supplement. Other than that, make sure the environmental temperature is warm - 85-90 degrees Farhenheit - and increase the humidity level to 85% for helpful support. You would want to also keep all the perches low or remove them entirely so he does not hurt himself if he has another seizure. Ideally, he would be taken to an avian veterinarian for diagnostics and treatment.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian