Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 6 or 7 month old guinea keet. It was given to me as…

Customer Question
I have a 6...

I have a 6 or 7 month old guinea keet. It was given to me as a small, young bird and it has a broken leg it appears. It hobbles around on the good foot but the other one [on right side] is bent backwards slightly to the right.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

Is there anything that at this point I can do with the foot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this message thing, but I'm sending this again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Ting normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

NO

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the bird behaving differently?

Walking on one foot. Broken Leg?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes but when I got it , it was crippled then

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name?

Pogo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pogo?

She gets into trouble with her three elders but seems to fend for herself.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/23/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Joan, Vet. Tech. replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet. Tech.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

In a case like this the leg would need to be seen by an Avian specialist. Depending on the damage to the leg the Vet may try and do a splint repair or if need be there are surgical options. The Treatment would all depend on the severity and how old the break is.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If in the US I can get you a list of Avian Vets in needed.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917