Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I went out to check on my hens this afternoon, and found one…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I went...

Hi Pearl, I went out to check on my hens this afternoon, and found one of them hunched over in an odd position. When I went to move her, she did not squawk and run away like normal. I got her out of her unusual position (under a shelter) and put her on the ground. Her legs just spread out and she started swaying side to side. She is approx. 6 months old, has not yet started laying, and has, to date, been very healthy and is one of my most active hens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name?

Rita

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rita?

She seemed to be panting (no tongue out, but open mouth breathing). I have her inside right now in a heated bathroom. She has accepted a little water with vitamins in it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Feed is Scratch and Peck brand organic Layer feed. Birds are supplemented with raw vegetable scraps and garden waste (organic) - most recently a lot of broccoli leaves. She is one of the lower birds on the pecking order, but I just checked her crop and it seems full, though not distended or solid. Hens have oyster shell and grit available. Last night we had a hard freeze, but she was fine earlier today, so I don't think that's a factor.
Feet look good, no wounds found on feet, legs or body, vent is clear and looks good, and vent area is clean.
12/22/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Rita, please?

Unfortunately, her behavior can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. Her posture and swaying can indicate a badly weakened hen or, instead, paresis/paralysis as might be seen with Marek's disease (herpesvirus), other infections involving the nervous system, or perhaps a toxin. Her open mouth breathing often indicates severe respiratory compromise. Thus, in avian medicine we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an important diagnostic particularly in large flocks. With this in mind, your best course of action might be to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in that regard.

It's best to bring her inside as shown here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian