Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a Diamond Dove whose head keeps twitching and is

Customer Question
I have a Diamond...

I have a Diamond Dove whose head keeps twitching and is turned at an odd angle. She no longer is able to fly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

Her head twitches and seem to be often turned at an odd angle listing to one side, usually to the right.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Seems like the problem is on her right side.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Her right eye seems to be shut, her head tilts to the right and she cannot fly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

She is about 5 years old and her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

Whatever is wrong seems to have become noticeable over the past couple months.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/19/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucy. You appear to be describing chronic and progressive paramyxovirus infection in doves. Regretfully, there's no treatment of value and she'll likely continue to deteriorate. West Nile virus and the equine encephalitides can look similar but aren't expected to become chronic, instead killing my patient quickly. A vascular accident (stroke) is another consideration and an important one in any bird behaving as Lucy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

If she has Paramyxovirus, will she deteriorate and pass quickly?

You mentioned that her behavior has been noticed "over the past couple months" which would imply that her infection is chronic and so a timeline for her longevity is difficult for me to know; however, if she becomes unable to find and prehend food as is often the case with this virus, she'll starve within days. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?