Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

This happened years ago, but not since. He started throwing…

Customer Question
This happened years ago...

This happened years ago, but not since. He started throwing up last night, but still doing it this morning. He will want to get on me, thats when I know he will start. He has been sitting on eggs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bird eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, but I wasn't home I saw some fried rice and a pc of shrimp near them, but my boyfriend swore scooter didn't have any, since shes been on hear eggs. the other bird may have but she is find.. I am not too sure scooter didn't touch it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

Scooter is 13yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Scooter? No..only that she is sitting on her eggs now and a little aggressive

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/17/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Scooter has been vomiting recently. Do you happen to know how well Scooter has been eating lately?

Same at usual, but there was a pc of shrimp near her yesterday from shrimp fried rice, my boyfriend swears she didn't get any because she has been sitting on her eggs and doesn't like to leave them
I was already charge 29.00 just to get you to respond. I am not paying another 28

I do not see what is offered on your end. However, if you are referring to a phone call offer then that is made by the website automatically. I am able to answer your question via text only if you desire. You do not have to accept the phone call offer.

The first thing is to make differentiate between vomiting and regurgitation. Both behaviors can occur from a normal set of behavior associated with courtship, fear / excitement, and feeding. There are also medical causes a foreign body, infection, obstruction caused by a mass, etc. If she is still eating as normal then this would support a behavioral cause to her vomiting, but it does not confirm it. The best way to confirm her cause of vomiting is to have a fecal exam and an exam of her crop contents performed. This would be the best way to rule out an infection and then treatment can be given. X-rays are the next tool to use for any sort of obstruction.

In the meantime, it may help her to give a supportive environment used for general health of parrot species. Increasing the environmental temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity to 85% is the first step. Make sure to not use a space heater to achieve this because of the wide variation of temperature that gets created. You can safely use a UV bulb from a pet store. The humidity can be increased by using a humidifier or simply spraying the cage. Finally, to support the intestines, you can give probiotics and apple cider vinegar.

Does that help answer your question?

Just checking in. How is Scooter doing?