Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My cockatiel flew around the cage getting frightened and…

Customer Question
Hi, my cockatiel flew around...
Hi, my cockatiel flew around the cage getting frightened and part of the feathers of his wing fell off and he dripped blood. I am nervous. What to do?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/16/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this injury to Haven. Is the bleeding still happening? Can you post a picture here of what you're seeing? When there is blood like this, the biggest suspicion is a broken blood feather. When a new feather is growing, it has blood supply to it. The base of the shaft is very dark due to the blood vessels there. If one of these gets broken, it will bleed and bleed. The way to stop this is to actually pull that broken feather out. It can't form a good clot if the broken feather is there. By pulling it, it can then form a good clot.

Hi
Haven doesn't seem to be dripping blood now but some blood dripped on the paper towel lining at the bottom of his cage. Also, on his little shelf. I know birds don't have a lot of blood. This happened 1 year ago when he had a broken blood feather. We took him to the emergency vet and they put him under twice and pulled it. He seems to be calm now and doesn't seem to be dripping any blood. Would that mean we are safe?
I tried looking under his wing and it looks like dark blood. Not sure if it is drying up. He doesn't want me to look underneath. But he likes me to rub his head now

Could the bleeding be done? That is the unknown. I'm glad you know about how potentially serious bleeding can be with these little ones as they don't have a lot to lose. In this situation, the safe choice would be that trip to the ER clinic and to let them clean up that area of the blood to see if there is a broken blood feather there that needs addressed.

OK will do. Guess would be risky to go in the morning?

If the bleeding starts up again, tomorrow wouldn't be a good thing. I know a trip to the ER is never hoped for, but I would do that to have peace of mind that this won't get worse.

Thank you Dr. Bruce!

I am hoping for the best for this little one! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Haven. How is everything going?