Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She is holding up her left foot and limping. I checked her…

Customer Question
She is holding up...

She is holding up her left foot and limping. I checked her foot for any injuries and did not see any. Her head comb is red and she sings. I took her out of the main chicken run and have her separate so she will not be picked on. She jumps off and on the roost

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. I checked her foot and there are no signs of irritation or injury. Sometime when she is holds the foot up it will tremble

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

Her name is***** is a 2 year old Cochin Bantam

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eagle?

No. She looks healthy

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/15/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, assessing lameness from afar is quite difficult. I need to examine the leg of these birds hands-on. I begin at the talons and toes and end up at the hip. Bumble foot (infectious pododermatitis) lesions can be quite subtle yet cause profound lameness. Soft tissue injuries - sprains, strains - can be invisible to the naked eye. Joints need to be evaluated for swelling (infectious synovitis is the primary concern) and compared to the same joints of the contralateral leg. The hip needs to rotated (flexed, extended) to see if it had been luxated (dislocated) - unlikely if she can jump off and on the roost. Conservative care of such a hen involves dissolving an adult 325 mg aspirin in 1/2 pint of drinking water and using that water as her sole drinking source. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you

You'r equite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I was able to find a vet about 18 mime a from where I live . she was examined and seems to have a broke toe. I will be keeping her confined and have follow visit in 3 weeks.

Thank you letting me know. Toes heal quickly. Good work on finding that vet!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian