Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My four week old chick ate a very thin thread yesterday

Customer Question
My four week old...

My four week old chick ate a very thin thread yesterday evening. it was about 2 to 3 inches long. i've been worried ever since although she's acting normally and eating and drinking. i wondered how long it would take before i could feel like we were going to be okay.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
12/9/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. String can pass if it balls up but there is always a risk that one end can catch leaving the stomach which leads to the string getting taut in the gut. When that happens, the GI loops can end up pulled together or the thread could even cheese wire through the intestines. So, we do need to be careful here and plan to keep a close eye for the weekend. As you do, there are a few treatment options we can try to just lubricate the gut and help push the string through. To do so, you can feed high fiber foods (ie babyfood veggies, canned pumpkin) to just try to bulk up stool and push the thread along the intestines. As well, you can also add a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) to her food. These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, belly pain, appetite loss, pale gums/oral membranes, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own. And if it is caught, sometimes surgery would be indicated. But hopefully we can just get this passed in the next day to two.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**