Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She's been puffed up all day and in the sleeping position.

Customer Question
She's been puffed up...

She's been puffed up all day and in the sleeping position. She is still eatting she has been pretty vocal the past few days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Stormy she is aprox a year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Stormy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stormy?

She has laid several eggs through out the year.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/30/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Stormy appears puffed up and in a sleeping position. Can you please tell me what breed of bird is Stormy? Also, have you observed any loose feces or straining lately?

She a Zebra Finch, No loose stools or straining that I have noticed.

Thank you. Last question, what does the regular diet consist?

Finch bird food and millett on occasion
Hello anyone there?

Thank you for your patience. There appears to be some delay between our responses, but I think we have worked out the technical difficulty now. I will make sure to have all your questions answered. Regarding Stormy, a puffed appearance is certainly a sign of distress. A lot of the finch bird foods are high in seed, which leaves the possibility of mineral and vitamin deficiencies, as well as having a high fat content. Fatty liver syndromes have been reported in some birds as young as 1 year of age. Therefore, a blood test would be a good recommendation to evaluate the internal organ function. A fecal exam is also part of a basic diagnostic panel. In the meantime, you can support her body function and immune process by making some environmental changes. Increasing the area temperature is the first one. Increasing the temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit can be done by using a heat bulb. Make sure not to use a space heater because the fluctuations in temperature will be too stressful. Increasing the humidity to 85% can be done with a humidifier or simply misting the cage area. That should be t he first step and you should be able to observe an improvement.

She's moving around some but for the most part she is just sleeping

Sleeping for a prolonged period is likely associated with lethargy and it may even be a pain response. Without a history of straining, loose feces, sneezing, or vomiting, then one would have to think about an abdominal organ issue. The liver is the most likely choice. Blood work will get you this diagnosis. You should see an improvement in behavior with the environmental changes, but an underlying treatment may require antibiotics, nutrition changes, etc.

Just checking in. Do you have any other questions I can help with. I am still standing by.

No that's all I'll see a vet here asap thank you

You are most welcome. Take care.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian