Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My son accidentally stepped on his Bird. He's sleeping but…

Customer Question
My son accidentally stepped...

My son accidentally stepped on his Bird. He's sleeping but not to sure if his back backbone or tailbone is broken. What advice do you have?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Brody Bird & 1yr.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Brody?

Birdy is 1yr old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brody?

He was walking side ways at first but now can walk a little better. He was breathing heavy at first but not now. He did just jump up on the trail of the bed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/28/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this accident. How long ago did it happen? What kind of bird is Birdy? After the accident, he again was able to get up / jump onto the part of the bed? Is he able to perch ok?

Just 30 min. Ago. He tries to perch. A little wobbly. He's been sleeping. We have been letting him sleep & wake him up n a bit.

Ok. Thanks for that information. That is good that he's been sleeping and being able to perch. Typically the most common injuries from something like this are a broken wing or a broken leg. Him not positioning a wing in an abnormal manner hopefully means they aren't compromised. Also being able to perch hopefully means no leg is broke. Him being wobbly, well that could be due to him still being a little uncomfortable from this stressful event. As far as what can you do at home for him? The best is to have him in a dark, warm area with minimal stimulation to let him rest. I typically recommend removing all perches that are up high in the cage - only ones right on the bottom and anything that they can typically climb on. For 24 hours, it is best to keep them more on the ground level of the cage so they don't fall and injure themselves further. Have his food and water easily accessible.

How is Brody doing at this time?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian