Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Could you tell me why my English budgie looses his main long…

Customer Question
Hi could you tell...

Hi could you tell me why my English budgie looses his main long tail feather.When it grows it looks like a twisted length of string.I now have taken toys out of date but he also has a rather peculiar jump on the back top rear next to tail thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

He is very healthy but his long tail feather grows like a piece of twisted string.I usually have to cut it off as well as looking awaful it drags on ground.He also seems to have a bit of a hump on his back

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird bleeding a lot?

No he is happy and eats seed not I'll

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

CODY ABOUT TWO YEARS OLD I BOUGHT HIM FROM A VERY HIGHLY APPRECIATED BREEDER

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CODY?

So sorry his name is***** is my dog sorry.No he is happy eats and I handle him a lot do he is not stressed it is just like a twisted droped tail

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/27/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. That peculiar lump is likely to be his uropygial (preen) gland and if it's infected or neoplastic (neoplasia is unlikely at 2 years of age) the disease process may have affected that feather follicle leading to dystrophic (poorly developed) feathers. Can you upload a photo of the bump to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

It's important to recognize, too, that "seed junkies" are malnourished birds. A vitamin A deficiency is common in these birds and hypovitaminosis A will cause pathological changes in the uropygial gland. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.
Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian