Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have tiny black bugs in my cockatiel's cage. I wonder if…

Customer Question
Hi, I have tiny...

Hi, I have tiny black bugs in my cockatiel's cage. I wonder if he is diabetic? There is a lot of crusty white debris on the cage, on the floor of the cage and he shoots it out of his tail so it is on the rug, etc.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your bird has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name and age?

Kiki. Probably around 15-17 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Kiki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kiki?

He seems otherwise healthy. Chirps. Let's me know when the water dish needs to be changed (in case I forget in the morning). Interactive with people after initially defending his space

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/27/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need you to clarify what you're seeing, please. You appear to be describing a diarrheic (polyuric/increased volume of urine?) elderly cockatiel who is spraying urates (the normally white portion of the droppings and formed in the kidneys) about his cage and futher. There are any number of causes of both diarrhea and polyuria particulary at Kiki's advanced age. Yes, he could be diabetic but there's no relationship between diabetes mellitus and those tiny black bugs which are usually the red/roost mite which spend their day on a bird but the nights off the bird but in the cage. Diagnosis of these mites is often made by placing a white paper/cloth inside the cage and see the red/black dots (mites) on the white paper/cloth in the morning. Treatment can be done at home by the caretaker with an over the counter product containing moxidectin such as Scatt which can be found where bird supplies are sold including online.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian