Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Conure has dark poop firm like raisins and congestion sounds…

Customer Question
conure has dark poop firm...
conure has dark poop firm like raisins and congestion sounds from nose...anything i can do at home
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/24/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian

Thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I am a veterinarian with specific training in birds and will do my best to answer your questions and hep Gabbers. Can you give me a little more information? How long has Gabbers had the abnormal poop and the congestion? What do you feed him/her? Is he acting normal otherwise? If you can let me know some additional details I may be able to help sort out what is going on.

this is th 3rd day..bid seems fine otherwise just had them to vet allgood 2wks ago.they get zupreem veg pellets fresh fruit nuts grains seeds might be salty and water daily..they dont eat greens much but i only had them for a month..new larger cage(used)

That sounds like you feed a good, complete diet, and the picture shows a great set-up for housing. Happy to hear that the vet said they were fine 2 weeks ago. Is Gabbers chewing and consuming any of they toy pieces or perching? Any chance he has been out of the cage unattended and possibly eaten something else? How is the companion bird - same symptoms or normal?

melia had nose sounds last week but poop was good .shes fine now.they dont play with toys yet and only get off cage when we walk apt together..wings clipped...but the stool tells story does is not?they dony seem to drink often

You are correct in that the stool tells us quite a bit. This may not be connected to the congestion as well. Since you have just had them for a month you may not have full details on what either bird has done in the past, such as periodic congestion or dark stools. The color and firmness of the stool is a bit of a concern. When they are firm like that it can be a sign of dehydration or some digestion issues. The color is worrisome - if Gabbers was eating something that could color the stool dark, it wouldn't be as much of a concern. Some of the toys have dyes that can do this, but when birds eat blueberries, blackberries, beets, or other very dark fruit and veggies they can have dark stool. Of course there are medical issues that can also cause the dark stool, and I would be most concerned about an ulcer, polyp, or tumor within the GI tract that is bleeding to cause the color change. The fastest way to sort out if the dark color is due to blood or not is to take a very fresh sample to your vet for testing. They will send it to the lab and get some results to help determine why the stool is so dark. If it is due to blood there are medications that can help.

thank you

You are very welcome. I hope everything is well with Gabbers soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions!

It is my goal, and all of us here at Just Answer, to provide excellent, quality service. If you feel we have not been able to provide this, please reply back and I will be happy to address additional concerns. Thank you for contacting us, and have a wonderful day.

Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Bird Veterinarian