Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We are getting worried about our little cockatiel, Tango. We…

Customer Question
Hello...we are getting worried...

Hello...we are getting worried about our little cockatiel, Tango. We noticed that he is shrieking a LOT for the past couple months and now we see his left foot is red from being picked at. We held him down and looked at his leg and his little drumstick is picked at and red. We put vitamin e ointment on it but not sure what else to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tango?

He's about 9 years old and a couple of times has gone through stages where he humps almost anything and everything and gets REALLY mean. Normally, his cage doors are open and he can come and go as he pleases. Right now he doesn't seem to be humping anything...just picking his leg, screeching and POOPING big slimy runny poops.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a few questions in order to help. What is his normal diet? Have you made any significant changes to his cage, diet or routine in the last several months?

There have been no changes in his diet or his cage. He has always eaten cockatiel seed mix and anything and everything we eat. He insists on trying whatever we're eating and has always been like that so I don't think that has anything to do with his problems right now. He never seems to like change in his cage, so we're always careful to leave things as they are.
I can't afford to pay for every question I'm allowed to ask, so if you can't or won't help me for what I have already paid, then thank you but I'm broke.
f