Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Today, would be the 7th day of treatment of my canary, he…

Today, would be the 7th...
Today, would be the 7th day of treatment of my canary, he was diagnosed with Streptococcus Sinus Infection and was prescribed amoxitex and he isn't improving at all, in fact his other healthy side is getting sick as well, and his head is so swollen, it looks like it's going to burst open, and his eye is completely shut, would you please take a look at the photos I attached and let me know what he's got.
I would take him to a vet, but I'm afraid it wouldn't do him any good, we only have one avian vet, and I wasn't pleased with the way my parrot was handled, I basically paid a hefty vet bill for no reason at all, I left the same way I went in/
The canary is eating okay but keeps rubbing the sick side on his perches which I think is aggravating his condition, and he keeps picking on one of his toys with his beak.
He's making a noise, I can't quite describe it, it's somewhat like clicking, it seems nasal, and he isn't breathing too well.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Regretfully, no photos were uploaded. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you for the prompt response, I appreciate it, time is of the essence. Here are the photos again, hopefully this time, they have been attached.
20171113_115208.jpg2017111...jpg20171113_115215.jpg2017111...jpg20171113_115234.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_170322.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_170327.jpg2017111...jpg

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Oh my goodness. The poor little thing suffers from an infraorbital sinusitis. The reason you're not seeing a response to amoxicillin is that antibiotics can't penetrate into the pus that fills that sinus. Of course, the bacteria might not be sensitive to amoxicillin as well. Unless this sinus is lanced and flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, Phoenix doesn't have a prayer of recovering. Unless you're experienced in doing this, please let the vet attend to Phoenix. There's a risk of life-threatening bleeding when lancing a sinus...particularly in such a little squirt. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much for you help, I will take him to my local vet and hopefully I'll have better luck this time.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Will do, thanks once again. Have a wonderful evening.

I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept.

Good morning,I just wanted to let you know that Phoenix didn't make it, I took to the vet yesterday, and instead of having his sinus flushed as you have suggested, they said he is too swollen and they couldn't do it, after attempting.
Instead, he received an injection of Vibramycin 20mg/ml, and meloxicam 0.5mg/ml
Despite being sick, he was still eating and flying around, and even playing with his toys, not sure what happened but I am almost certain that the injection is what ended his life.

My condolences for your loss of Phoenix. You gave it your best.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Phoenix. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian