Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Have a chicken that will not open her eyes. no signs of

Have a chicken that...

Have a chicken that will not open her eyes. no signs of injury

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

No name yet ...approximately 8 months.....

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Red sexlink

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Just got her so no history on her

11/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your hen, please?

Regretfully, keeping the eyes closed isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder but does suggest painful eyes such as those that might be affected by uveitis - inflammation of the iris and its attachments. Can you open the eyelids and look at her eyes for me, please. Take a look at the image of Marek's disease eyes on this site and let me know what you think: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease

She is not showing any signs or symptoms of MD. Just her eyes closed tightly. Local vet advised us to give her tetracycline.

Thank you for the additional information. Did the local vet prescribe the tetracycline? The only antibiotic now allowed by the FDA over the counter for poultry is tylosin in the form of injectable Tylan-50 which is dosed into the breast muscle at a dose of 5 - 15 mg per pound of body weight once daily for 5-7 days. You can find Tylan-50 in many feed stores or online.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
The wife picked it up. It was not tetracycline but instead it was something that is mixed with water. Said to treat and prevent the spread. I will tell her about the tyrosine. She is a NP so she understands the meds and dosage.

Thank you. Medicating through the water might be necessary for large flocks but it's not a dependable manner in which to dose and so I prefer to dose a single hen directly into her mouth or by injection. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

It was tylosin tartrate.
She gave her some by mouth and I am going to see if I can find the IM tylosin.

I've given tylosin orally in a pinch. It might do the trick. It's awfully distasteful, however.

She said she did not like it. The left eye is a little swollen. She is trying to open both eyes today. Thank you for your help.

Thank you. Consider upper respiratory infection/conjunctivitis often caused by avian mycoplasmosis or chicken coryza (Haemophilus parigallinarum). Tylosin should be helpful in those regards.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian