Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just found him dead and we have only had him for a couple…

Customer Question
I just found him...

I just found him dead and we have only had him for a couple of years

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

He's dead and I just don't know why. I don't know what to tell my son.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

He is dead

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

He is on the bottom of the cage not moving

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

He is dead. I don't know how old he is but we got him from a per store 2 years ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Echo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Echo?

I just want to be able to give my son a reason for his death

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/20/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry too ear about Echo's passing. What breed was he? In the previous days prior to his passing, was he eating and drinking well? Was he being social as normal? Where was his cage in the house?

He was a parakeet. He was my teenage son's bird so I do not know about his eating and drinking but he was less vocal the past few days. His cage is in my son's bedroom on the second floor.

Is any cooking done in the room? Any significant use of chemicals for cleaning that could create fumes?

I baked in the kitchen today but that is not even on the same floor of the house. It has been several days since I have used any cleaning products.

Ok. When non-stick frying pans are burned on the stove, it can create fumes that are deadly. Regular baking shouldn't be any issue. As far as why did he pass? Honestly, it could have been any number of reasons. Birds are tough in that they can hide illness very well until they are extremely sick. If he wasn't eating and drinking well over the past few days, that was a subtle sign of the underlying big issue he was having. Husbandry issues can be a big part of why a bird doesn't do well. Diet is a big part of that. Could he have had some sort of trauma in the cage? That is possible if everything was going well.

What do you mean by trauma? He was on a seed mix for parakeets. He has a huge cage with lots of different perches. He was a few months past due for his annual checkup due to financial issues. I just need to be able to explain it to my son. We thought parakeets live a long time. Could he be older than we thought? Do parakeets get sick and die prematurely? I don't want him to blame himself or me.

Trauma can come from being out and about and flying around and injuring themselves. I've seen some come into my ER that get out and fly into windows or overhead fans and sustain life threatening injuries. Could he have been older than what you were told? That is very possible. If he was older, could he have had liver failure or cancer? Those are two things that are very big issues with older parakeets.

He was not out of his cage. How long do parakeets usually live? Could he have gotten sick even if he was young and is the only bird in his cage? Was getting him from a pet store a bad idea? My son's bearded dragon died as a juvenile due to adenovirus and we were told by a vet that the bearded dragon had it before we purchased it and there was nothing we could have done about it.

8-10 years is a pretty good range for the lifespan of a parakeet. Could he have been ill and nothing was really seen externally? Yes. They again will hide things extremely well till they are very, very sick. That is just what birds do.