Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My cockatiel have scaly mites. Dolly is about 4, Tonka is…

My cockatiel have scaly...

My cockatiel have scaly mites.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?

Dolly is about 4, Tonka is 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dolly?

She has eggs, none of which have ever hatched.

11/19/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cockatiels. Cnemidocoptes (scaly leg and face mite) is best addressed with ivermectin or moxidectin dosed at 0.2 mg per kg of body weight topically, orally, or by injection repeated every two weeks until the crusts disappear - usually three treatments are required. Topical creams and liquids (e.g., mineral oil) are often not effective as the whole bird must be treated. This mite stays on the bird and so decontamination of the cage and other areas your birds frequent isn't necessary. An avian vet (www.aav.org) can treat your birds or you can purchase Scatt (moxidectin) where bird supplies are sold or online such as here: https://www.amazon.com/Vetafarm-Products-Scatt-50-ml/dp/B001LK97DY

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Will permethrin spray kill them?
where do. I get ivermectrum

Sprays can't reach into the "honeycombs" where the mites reside. Please note, too, that although permethrin is low in toxicity to birds some aerosol products made with permethrin may also contain other ingredients that can harm birds if they inhale it.

You can purchase injectable ivermectin in feed stores or online. They're difficult to dose down to a cockatiel's size, however. Moxidectin in the form of Scatt will be easier for you to dose. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

i looked around and can't find otc.
you have good advice, but i'm not getting the help i need because you, the vet, didn't prescribe any,
and i've already paid for the consult. i sure hope i didn't miss the point of speaking with a bird veterinarian.
in the meantime, i've made some .03 permethrin spray. there really aren't any bird vets around here. i'm on disability and am trying to take proper care of my birds.
i realize meds would be extra.

Here's where you can purchase Scatt: https://www.amazon.com/Vetafarm-Products-Scatt-50-ml/dp/B001LK97DY

Cute birds!