Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

HOw Do I know if my Budgies is egg bound? She has a bleeding

HOw Do I know if...
HOw Do I know if my Budgies is egg bound? She has a bleeding vent and breathing heavily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Budgie bird
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the budgie?
Customer: Thanks
11/19/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Budgie Bird. Birds with egg binding may or may not have passed an egg more than 2 days ago, are usually depressed, fail to perch, often sit low on the perch or on the bottom of the cage, and may strain as if trying defecate or to lay an egg. Sometimes the egg will bulge in the area of the vent or may occasionally prolapse through the vent. If the egg is putting pressure on the nerves that control the legs, leg paralysis may result - obturator paralysis. Since the signs associated with egg binding are also seen in sick birds with other causes of illness, diagnostic testing is essential in formulating a proper diagnosis.

Do you have an avian vet (www.aav.org) available to you? If not, you're necessarily constrained to heating up her area with a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage and by adding a calcium supplement to her water such as Calcivet or Calciboost available where bird supplies are sold. A water soluble vitamin supplement containing vitamin D3 such as Oasis brand is important as well as vitamin D3 is necessary for efficient absorption of calcium from the gastrointestinal tract.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you. We don't have an avian vet, so we will try that and see if it helps her.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The egg broke and she is passing it slowly but seems to be in better spirits. We will keep an eye on her the rest of the night.

That can be good news as long as the yolk doesn't find its way into her coelom ("abdomen"). That's unlikely if the egg broke far down her oviduct or in her cloaca (vent) which I expect has happened. Thank you for the good update.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian