Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My little roosters comb is frostbitten and can't find a vet…

My little roosters...

My little roosters comb is frostbitten and can't find a vet to cut his comb...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the rooster bleeding a lot?

His comb is black and has yellow puss on it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the rooster's name and age?

He's a year old his name is frack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frack?

It is his first winter outside and he is veryy

11/18/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Frack. Ideally, an avian vet should attend to him as frostbite can be extremely painful and so you're likely to end up with a furious ball of feathers if you attempt to attend to Frack yourself. If you're inclined to do so, lavaging the affected area with the antimicrobial over the counter chlorhexidine solution twice daily should be helpful. You should be able to find this solution in an agricultural merchant/feed store near you.

An avian vet might prescribe a sytemic antibiotic you would give directly into Frack's mouth and analgesia in the form of opioids you would dose similarly. Please note that surgical debridement or amputation should be delayed until the line of demarcation between healthy and necrotic (dead) tissue becomes obvious - often 3-6 weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank u for responding, we have no vets in our area that deal with chickens. That is my problem.....

You're quite welcome. You're not alone in that regard. You can attend to his comb yourself as I described above but he'll need to be wrapped up in a heavy towel and you'll need help restraining him. The dead tissue will eventually crumble away unaided leaving a moth-eaten appearance to his comb. You'll never lose him in crowd. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
What can I give him for the pain?
For pain?

You can dissolve an adult 325 mg aspirin in 250 mL (1/2 pint) of drinking water and use that water as his sole drinking source. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?