Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

7 month chicken is egg bound. My vet is out of country.

7 month chicken is...

7 month chicken is egg bound. My vet is out of country. Other near by do not treat hens or tow far away. Egg is close inside the vent but never have had this experience before I do not knw if what I feel is normal. Egg is not broken. Internet sites suggested treatments: Warm water baths 2 in 3 hours. Massage area. As close to 150 mg crushed calcium dissolved in water and syringe feed. Kept in darkened crate warm/drying in from of electric heater. She is standing, gasping and little cries some times as she breaths out, trying to push egg out I think. It is breaking my heart to see her in discomfort/pain. Is there anything more I can do for her over night?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the chicken's name?

My chickens are pets but I have not named them. Tonight I call her Sweetie. So Sweetie will be her name.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweetie?

The 7month old hens have just started laying later part of September. Normally eggs have been very small.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/15/2017
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your chicken. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
If your hen is egg bound that is a potentially serious problem that could prove life threatening.Therefore, here are my recommendations:1. First, we need to confirm that an egg is present and stuck in the vent.
Using a latex glove and some KY jelly or other lube you will need to very gently insert your finger into the vent. Push your finger straight back about two inches or so – you should be able to feel the egg. If you feel the smooth surface of the eggshell then we can likely surmise that she is egg bound and proceed to deal with it. If you cannot feel an egg then she's not egg bound. We will need to look for another cause for the problems she is experiencing.2. Place the bird into a steamy room, such as bathroom with shower on for approximately 30 minutes. The Desired temperature: 90F/32C. Humidity: at least 60%. Get it hot and steamy. You want it to be really hot and humid.3. You can then give her an hour or two to lay the egg. Try to put her in a dark, warm and quiet spot which will help reduce her stress level as much as possible.4. If she hasn’t laid the egg then you can apply a decent amount of lube around the egg to lubricate it and see if you can gently assist in removing it. Please be gentle and only try this once or twice. If you are unsuccessful and your chicken is still having problems it will need to be seen by a veterinarian who has experience working with birds such as chickens. Most likely the veterinarian will initially try to assist the bird in passing the egg by providing medications such as calcium and perhaps oxytocin to help muscle contractions, fluids to keep your pet hydrated and other medications for pain control. As a last resort a trained veterinarian can surgically implode or collapse the egg in a controlled manner to help it pass.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with avian species or birds. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
Thank you. Her breathing got worse. I gave her VetRx for respiratory health and she seems to be resting now warm and quiet. I will get her to a vet in the morning.
Thank you
You can repeat the warm showers repeatedly periodically until tomorrow. This should help relax her which will
help her breathe easier.
Here is a medication option you can try to use to help deal with pain and discomfort.ASPIRIN SOLUTIONUsed as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water. This is a dosage provided by Mississippi State University Extension.Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.I sincerely ***** ***** the information I provided helps. I wish you and your chicken all the best.Dr. Adamski
Unfortunately Sweetie the chicken just had seizure type episode and died. I will have to try to have her death solved with narcropsy.
I thank you for responding. It was helpful to try to get help and advice in the middle of the night. I am new to keeping chickens. I rescued some, and added Sweetie and her 7 sisters as chick to the flock. And they became pets to me and it hurts when they are in trouble.
Thanks so much for your help.
I am terribly sorry to hear about your chicken. Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss. I know it can be devastating to lose a beloved pet. You and Sweetie shall be in my thoughts and prayers.I think having a necropsy completed by your local veterinarian is an excellent idea. Finding out more about what happened can help you manage your flock better and help the rest of your chickens.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Bird Veterinarian