Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Guinea female seems constipated. On antibiotic for

Customer Question
guinea female seems constipated....
guinea female seems constipated. On antibiotic for respiratory problem simultaneously
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Mary Lou is her name, and she's five.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mary?
Customer: Her feet have been swollen for about a year now, but she still gets around and can run when needed
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/13/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Mary Lou is appearing constipated and is also being treated for a respiratory infection. Your question is posted under a "Bird" heading, so I want to be sure we are talking about a guinea pig. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is a guinea FOWL, a bird. And I believe she's been constipated for several days now, I started her on "Tylan Powder" yesterday for her respiratory problem. She is showing me that she is constipated by presenting her rear end to me and squatting. Sometimes there is gas, sometimes there is just a little moisture. I would like to know what I can do to help her with this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not wish to pay $28 for a call, as I cannot be near a phone right now.

Thank you. I am an avian veterinarian, so I can answer questions regarding guineafowl. Your question is in the correct category. Sometimes people use the guinea term loosely and are referring to an entirely different species, so I just wanted to be sure. Thank you for clarifying. I am typing my response now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My vet is 2 hours away....and she's on vacation right now. So I am anxious for an answer--its clear she is very uncomfortable right now.

A bird that is straining should be screened for reproductive diseases. One of the more common issues is a bound egg. A cloaca mass is another possibility. If the issue is truly an intestinal inflammation then there are some things you can give over-the-counter to help while planning on having a fecal exam performed to rule out parasites or megabacteria. Probiotics and apple cider vinegar can help to neutralize some toxins in the intestines and that helps with digestion, KaoPectate is also helpful with acute intestinal disorders.

Our texts were sent at the same time. Please let me know if you received mine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try the apple cider vinegar--I usually put some in the water just for general purposes, diluted. The tylan powder is an antibiotic, yes? They aren't laying at this time of the year so I know it isn't an egg lodged there.

Yes, Tylan is an antibiotic. Try the intestinal support for 3-5 days. If no improvement then hopefully your regular avian veterinarian will be back in town and can perform some diagnostic tests such as a fecal exam and possibly a x-ray. That would be the best first step. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try the apple cider vinegar. I appreciate your help. My vet won't be back in town for another five days....so anything is better than watching her strain. You get 5 stars from me!

I hope it works out. Take care!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got another email today about your advice from yesterday, and that I haven't read it. But I have read it and responded twice yesterday after I received your advice. I tried the apple cider vinegar yesterday, but she still is the same . I won't be able to get Kaopectate until tomorrow. I thought she was dying this morning, but she seems a little improved this afternoon.

I am sorry to hear about the sudden change of her condition. I would want to be sure she is staying hydrated. Other than syringing fluids into the crop, you are going to be reliant on her drinking on her own. Probiotics will be helpful too, but it sounds like this is becoming more of an emergency.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Bird Veterinarian