Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have an old goose that has been limping with swollen leg…

I have an old...

I have an old goose that has been limping with swollen leg for about 2 weeks. It seems to slowly be getting worse. She still eats and follows the other geese. They are mostly wild and live on my small lake, but she is the most tame of them all. It is a rural area and I can't find a vet. Is there anything I can do for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, I don't see one but she is hard to catch and I only got to look once

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name?

Goosey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goosey?

She did have what looked to be a wound high up on the shoulder near her breast when it started but it looks healed now

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Where on the leg is it swelling? Is it over a joint?

If you feel up and down the leg, any bony crunching or instability?

I think she may have had trauma to upper breast area on the same side, but that seems healed. Her legs are warm to touch, both of them...but the hurt leg is swollen at the joint and the middle toe is very large all the way to the nail

Hello again,

Now I do suspect that the injury and current changes are linked. First, as we have an initial penetrating wound and now a progressive limb swelling, this suggests infection. Fractures of the leg, nerve damage, or soft tissue inflammation usually reduces with time or doesn't settle as opposed to getting worse. As well, with the toe, if we have progressive swelling at a joint above this may be reducing lymphatic drainage to the lower areas of the foot leading to that secondary toe swelling. That said, we cannot exclude infection (ie cellulitis) being involved here as well.

With this in mind, we'd want to catch Goosey if we can for ease of treatment. Ideally, we'd want to start antibiotics and you can check for these (ie Tylosin, Tetracycline, Penicillin, etc-) at the local farm supply. As well, for swelling/pain, we can use OTC Ibuprofen (5mg per kilogram of weight every 12 hours after food). Though for that use the pediatric formulation as adult and infant can be too strong to dose accurately. If we can get this reduced for her then we can plan to treat for 1-2 weeks until it is settled. Of course, if she doesnt' show positive progress, we'd want a local vet involved to sample the swelling for culture to ID which bacterial agent is present so we can target treatment for her.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.