Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

We have a hen who loved to jump up to the highest places she

could find. Was not surprised...
We have a hen who loved to jump up to the highest places she could find. Was not surprised that she was limping around. Brought her in so she would be contained and could rest it. It's been several weeks and she only hops around and keeps the leg out straight in front of her. Eats, drinks and other wise seems ok. Anything we can do?
11/12/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, bruising, instability or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, someone in the neighborhood cut an internet line and it just came back up. I just checked her and she had no problem with me moving the leg. When it first started I noticed that the foot was curling in. I kept straightening it out and after a week it opened back to a normal looking foot.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thats fine

No worries, my dear.

My apologies I was delayed, as I do have to care for my own patients during the week.

Though with what you have told me about Myrtle, I do have a few concerns here. Thankfully if she can move the foot then nerve and spinal damage are less likely; but I'd be wary of hip dislocation, tendon rupture, or possible fracture. Especially with the duration of signs since we'd have expected strains/sprains to have reduced by now. With this in mind, we are limited with what we can do at home. Aligned fractures can heal with rest over 4-6 weeks but dislocations needs to be replaced (usually right away as the longer the joint is out the harder it is to keep it in after replacing) and tendons need to be surgically repaired if possible. Therefore, at this point, if Myrtle was my patient I would want to have her seen at this point. That way we can narrow this down further and treat if possible. Any delay and you can at least try an OTC anti-inflammatory for her (ie pediatric liquid Ibuprofen - 5mg per kilogram of her weight after food every 12-24 hours --avoid tablets or infant formulas as they are too strong to easily dose) to keep her comfortable and see if we can at least make movement of this leg more comfortable for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Hi Jc,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Myrtle. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian