Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

My big goose lost lower part of top bill to the dog, I can

Customer Question
My big goose lost lower...
My big goose lost lower part of top bill to the dog , I can see his tounge, sorry, sp. Do I leave him alone or feed him with a baster or what? breaks my heart...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: He want's to eat , don't know if he won't or can't.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Year old Buff Goose.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: It's the tip of the top bill,
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/12/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

If this is recent injury, you might want to have a veterinarian take a look & prescribe antibiotics & pain medications. Prosthetic repairs have been attempted, but they usually do not last very long & have to be replaced. Good if you have extra funds, & can find a vet to do this.

But, I have seen quite a few geese with significant bill injuries. Sometimes upper beak, sometimes the lower beak. They actually do very well once they can adapt to anew way of feeding. Initially you should feed the goose a very high quality feed to maximize health & healing. I like Mazuri waterfowl maintenance, but a layer pellet will do. Moisten it slightly so the goose can get it into his mouth easier. You may have to experiment with different size & shape bowls to find what works for him. He may be able to access grasses by learning to turn his head & pull up blades , but you should probably offer him different greens to help his diet.

I hope this gives you a place to start. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hello again, I see you have viewed my response & would like to know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If not, please do not forget to rate my reply as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit for addressing your concerns. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrLinda1990
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian