Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a peacock who has managed to get his toes caught…

Customer Question
Hi we have a...

Hi we have a young peacock who has managed to get his toes caught tightly with fishing line. His toe is now hanging off with not much holding it. We have managed to catch him to cut the line away but his foot and lower leg are really hot and we need some advice please

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bird bleeding a lot?

No it's stopped bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Patrick and he's almost a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patrick?

No not really he's clearly not well hiding under things and lethargic I just want to help him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
11/12/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How fresh is the wound?

Was it bleeding when you caught him (as you noted it had stopped)?

Can you take a photo so I can see how attached that toe still is? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.