Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My bird just flew to the ground and hurt himself and was in…

My bird just flew to...
My bird just flew to the ground and hurt himself and was in a catatonic state for several minutes and now he seems to be flying around okay yet I'm wondering if I should get them checked by a veterinarian or let him be?
I don't want to put him through that trauma if I don't have to and I'm also concerned about internal bleeding or is that not something I should be concerned about? Thank you very much
11/10/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The latter makes more sense. In fact, treatment of traumatized birds initially entails not doing; in other words, he should be placed in a dimly lit and quiet area heated to 85F by a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered age until it's bedtime at which time the light should be removed and you can tape a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Watch for signs of overheating - spread wings and/or panting. While internal bleeding is a concern, we rarely transfuse birds instead rely on ancillary supportive care and a bird's ability to regenerate their red blood cells quickly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. May I have an update on your conure, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian