Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have chickens. One of them is coughing and has a runny…

We have chickens. One...

We have chickens. One of them is coughing and has a runny nose. Will she get better by herself? Will the other chickens catch whatever she has?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the bird's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is about 6 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beryl?

She semis to be well in every other way. She lays an egg every day and she is eating well. Our chickens are free range and only go in the hen house at night. I clean the hen house everyday.

10/20/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, "perhaps". Respiratory infections in poultry have several etiologies but outward signs - conjunctivitis, nasal discharge, swollen sinuses, coughing, gaping, and labored breathing - may appear similar to you. Successful treatment of respiratory disease requires the correct diagnosis which can be a challenge to clarify unless you have a vet experienced in avian medicine. Your vet can perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies (post-mortem examinations of dead birds). Necropsies are particularly valuable when large flocks are involved. We might sacrifice an ill bird in an attempt to identify the etiology of the infection and be able to treat the rest of the flock in the most appropriate manner.

Bacterial diseases include fowl cholera (pasteurellosis), chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum) and turkey coryza (Bordetella avium), and avian mycoplasmosis (Mycoplasma gallisepticum). Fungal infection is most often caused by Aspergillus spp. Parasitic infection is usually caused by the gapeworm Syngamus trachea which is more common in game birds and waterfowl. Viral infections include infectious laryngotracheitis (herpesvirus), paromyxovirus, and infectious bronchitis (coronavirus).

All of your birds have been exposed. Some will remain well. Some will become clinically ill similar to Beryl. Some will become carriers of the infectious agent and stay well or become ill at a later date. Beryl's remaining well otherwise gives her a very good prognosis for recovery unaided. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you Dr Salkin. I did phone our Vet clinic, but they said they know very little about chickens. They did say, if the birds were treated with antibiotics we would never be able to eat their eggs again. They said they could give us an oral anti inflammatory medication which may help. Does the latter sound appropriate to you??
Thanks
Julie

You're welcome, Julie. No, an antiinflammatory medication isn't needed. There are antibiotics that don't have egg withdrawal periods such as tylosin and even antibiotics that have egg withdrawal periods don't imply that you couldn't ever their eggs. In any event, because Beryl is otherwise well, you needn't treat her with anything which is always best. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok
Thank you very much. I think we'll just leave the situation as is and hope Beryl gets better, or at least no worse.
You have been very helpful.
Julie

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi Dr Salkin
We have 7 chickens in total. A second one, Betty, now has runny nose and cough, but like Beryl, she seems happy enough. Beryl is the same, no worse.
Julie

Thank you for the update. Yes, Beryl is contagious. As long as Betty continues to eat and drink normally, she, too, need not be treated.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian