Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 6 month old buff orp was fine at 7am. Checked in on them…

Customer Question
My 6 month old...

My 6 month old buff orp was fine at 7am. Checked in on them at 11 and she is squatting, walking upright, moving very little. She is also holding her wings out funny. She did lay her egg and is eating and drinking - but what could be wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?

Marigold. She is not necessarily lethargic - but moving seems painful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marigold?

When she tries to stand, her bottom stays near the ground. No outward signs of injury at all.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
10/3/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There may be another egg in her distal oviduct or the last egg traumatized her oviduct due to being misshapen or oversized. I can't rule out a salpingitis - infection in her oviduct - from here but that remains a consideration as well. May I have an update on Marigold, please? Are you comfortable inserting a well-lubed gloved hand into her cloaca (vent) and feeling for an egg?

Thank you for your response. Marigold is about the same, although she seems to have relaxed in her "isolation". She continues to eat and drink. She does not move around. She never seems to extend her legs. In fact, her tail feathers are almost always touching the ground. She tries to scoot using her extended wings for balance. She has laid an egg almost every day for a month and did lay one today despite her distress. Her vent looks pretty normal to me. I will try to feel for an egg - although it freaks me out a little! ;-)

I understand! Give it your best. Walking like a penguin, squatting repeatedly as if to lay, a wide-based stance, scant or no droppings, and tail bobbing or open-mouth breathing are hallmarks of egg binding. I'm also concerned that her legs may be paretic (weak) which could progress to paralysis. That's worrisome for Marek's disease (herpesvirus) so please review that infection here: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease/ and let me know if you're seeing other symptoms of Marek's you'll read about.

Thank you so much for your quick response! She doesn't seem to be experiencing the type of paralysis described with Marek's disease. She was totally fine at 7 and then like this at 10:30. Also - she hasn't pooped all day. Could she have laid an egg and still have one "bound". If so, and I will do the gloved finger thing, what do I feel for and how to treat??

Yes, that was my initial concern. See if you feel an egg. You're necessarily constrained by how much you can do for an egg bound bird without the help of an avian vet. Please take a look at this site which can guide you through the process: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian