Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

During the hurricaine in florida we lost power for five

Customer Question
During the hurricaine in...

During the hurricaine in florida we lost power for five days. I am beginning to notice one of her eyes have discolored greyed. Wondering what could have happened

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?

Po

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Po?

She has had yeast in her throat in the past but cleared up. I think this is cause she has a uv light inside. She is an inside bird but with no power for 5 days this started.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
9/30/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Do you mean the iris or the clear corneal covering over Po's eye?

Any discharge, squinting or redness around the eye?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Oh dear,

Now the photo quality isn't great but from it there appears to be clouding within the region of the pupil. Furthermore, with this discoloration and shape change of iris in one eye, this raises worries of a space occupying lesion within the eye. It may be a cataract forming (ie traumatic, etc), inflammatory uveitis (ie from bacterial or protozoal infection), or a tumor. Therefore, the recent hurricane/power cut won't have caused what we are seeing here. And in this case, especially as any of these can increase intra-eye pressure (causing glaucoma, pain, vision damage, and tends to be an emergency when present), we do need Po seen as soon as possible. We need her vet to check the eye's pressure but also examine this with a lens to assess the clouding but also check for a tumor or infection. Depending on which is found, we may need antibiotics and bird safe anti-inflammatories started. Though if a cataract is present, then sometimes removal of these are possible (where tumors usually need us to remove the whole eye). Therefore, this is quite serious for your wee lass and we'd need these checked into for her.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**