Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 16 year old conure chewed on my smart phone...the hard…

Customer Question
My 16 year old...

My 16 year old conure chewed on my smart phone...the hard plastic cover over the glass cracked and it is very hard. Like glass it cracked into small pieces. This happened yesterday about 4 pm. It is now 11 am the day after. She possibly may have ingested some small sharp pieces. Seems fine, droppings no blood but what should I do. I called the company which makes this hard plastic clear cover...the adhesive they said is non toxic. How long is she in danger....what signs do I look for...???? Would she show immediate signs if ingested the small pieces ?? * what can be done for her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the bird ate?

There were small pices of this hard clear cover...I originally thought it was glass because just as sharp as glass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

It is hard plastic but sharp as glass

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
9/26/2017
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to monitor this situation closely. The main concerns if she did eat some of this is gut blockage or trauma from the plastic's sharp edges. Since she is well in herself just now, we need to keep an eye for the next 48 hours. As we do that, try offering her more fibrous foods (ie veggies, canned pumpkin, veggie baby food, etc) just as this fiber will help coat these bits and push them through the gut. Any signs of appetite loss, belly discomfort, breathing changes, bloody or black (digested blood) feces, straining to pass stool, or paling of the inside of her mouth and those would be signs of possible gut damage and a cue to have her seen right away. Otherwise, if we see no issues in that time frame, then we'd expect that we are out of the woods here.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Shelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.